*ahem- 50 year old…
But also that awkward moment when the Forest of Cheem’s sacrifice is relegated to unimportance in Moffat’s world. Her bravery and kindness don’t matter, and she’s turned into yet another cheap joke about women being infatuated with the Doctor.
That she fancied the Doctor did not feature at all in the season 1 episode. She was curious about his origins, she had sympathy for him, and she gave her life so he could save the rest of the people aboard the base. I personally don’t see her fawning over him (like so many of Moffat’s women do). Thus, with no real evidence to draw this from, Moffat seems to be interpreting her sacrifice as “fancying” the Doctor, which is immensely problematic: It suggests that she did this only for him rather than to save everyone on the ship, and it shows yet another example of Moffat thinking that any woman who interacts with the Doctor must be infatuated with him.
Even if she did fancy him, the fact that Moffat considers her actions negligible in comparison to her “crush” is pretty gross, especially when the payoff from this line is so small. All it does in the context of the episode is set up the Doctor as an object of desire. But in the context of the show, it undermines the agency and power of women to act with bravery and integrity without it being all for the Doctor.
lmao i remember complaining about this exact same thing on this exact same gifset back in 2011
additionally THAT’S NOT EVEN HER NAME
her name was Jabe??? this is like saying ‘i met the human race once. they fancied me’
I think the tags should have been #that awkward moment when Moffat tries to reference his predecessor’s run and that’s what he comes up with
Happy Valentine’s Day!
I really hope you can appreciate the blood sweat and tears that went into finishing this by the 14th. Hand painting the same thing 16 times is.. fatiguing. But I’m pretty happy with the result, so I guess it was worth it. It was very experimental mixing my portrait painting with animation. I may do more in the future but if so they will definitely have less frames cause damn. Also this is actually a bit bigger, you can see the full size here (x).
- psychological fear, there is no need for CGI, the creature is terrifying without special effects or physical appearance
- study of identity,
- the things which are usually assets/no problem for the doctor are subverted, i.e. him turning up out of the blue instead of pre-booking, his intelligence, mucking about with machinery, using a fake name (Nobody’s called John Smith, he’s lying!) him taking authority and assuming leadership of the situation, him asserting himself over other people- all of it is used against him and makes him suspicious in their eyes
- mob mentality, fear of the unknown, the ugliness of humanity, people seeing what they want to see/confirmation bias
- study of ethics- is it right to kill this creature just because we’re scared? how it becomes easier and easier for them to decide to kill the further they go, first the creature then the doctor and then dee dee are all turned against- the value of life is lost as they lose their morality in fear
- it’s an excellent study in characterisation, every single one of the passengers has a distinct personality and flaws and are morally grey; even dee dee who is very logical and sees what’s really going on tells everyone about the 6 second delay on the doors which would make it possible to kill someone, because she just wants to go home. and then at the end when she knows exactly what’s happening, instead of intervening she shrinks into a corner blocking it all out
- 'We must not look at goblin men' it's my favourite poem lol
- the doctor is completely powerless, his voice is his strength and that is taken away from him completely
- the importance of the ordinary, individual. if it wasn’t for the hostess’ sacrifice the doctor would have been murdered, and the ironic thing is that she was the one who suggested throwing someone out in the first place. and nobody even knew her name.
- david’s acting when he’s possessed is excellent
- the subtle way in which the creature manipulates the other passengers after subduing the doctor, using male pronouns to describe the entity turns the fear towards him after they’d all been using ‘she/it’ and how she puts words into his mouth by saying them
- VAL: Stop. Oh, my God, make him stop. Someone make him stop.
- DEE DEE: But she’s saying it!
- VAL: And you can shut up.
- DEE DEE: But it’s not him, it’s her. He’s just repeating.
- the dialogue is excellent, the tension is well crafted, all the technical stuff- practically the entire episode is show in one tiny set
- the little details which we never find out- what is the creature, what was its intent? is it still alive, seeing as it existed in the deadly sunlight before entering the vehicle? how did it survive on a planet which supposedly can not support life? what does Sky mean by ‘She said she’d get me!’ when she is being driven insane with fear?
- 'I said it was her.' gahhhh Val
- Sky’s sexual orientation being normalised
- 'The pool is abstract!' 'The lost moon of poosh!' 'Chicken or beef? I think it's both.'- all the little interactions of the passengers when they are forced to interact after the entertainment breaks down
- Rose’s face on the monitor, ‘I had a friend who went to a different universe. ’ heeeee
The first six costume designs I drew up for Peter Capaldi’s 12th Doctor (since tumblr only allows ten photos at a time.)
The second set can be found here.
Write ups for each design can be found here:
2.) The Guile Hero
3.) The Chessmaster
4.) The Grandfather
5.) The Adventurer
6.) The Time Lord
Check out these fan-designed outfits for the Twelfth Doctor! We think they got pretty close with “The Guile Hero.”
The new Doctor’s ‘costume’ has been revealed.
Commenting on his costume, Peter Capaldi said: “He’s woven the future from the cloth of the past. Simple, stark, and back to basics. No frills, no scarf, no messing, just 100 percent Rebel Time Lord.” While lead writer and executive producer Steven Moffat added: “New Doctor, new era, and of course new clothes. Monsters of the universe, the vacation is over - Capaldi is suited and booted and coming to get you!”
Read more about the costume, its creation and The Twelfth Time Lord here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho/articles/Peter-Capaldi-Doctor-Who-Costume-Revealed-
"ten and rose kissing in the rain passionately against the tardis" requested by awhsumness, who seemed really excited about this request, I hope it’s what you wanted!
I know that you just asked for rain….but FLOOD is so much prettier and cooler and besides i mean it could happen so why not
Valentine’s Day Any-OTP Art Requests, rules here